Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Lights (Fact of my past self #1)

We all have those things we remember from when we were children.  They aren't necessarily specific events that happened, just part of who we were back then.  Well, I was going to put several of mine in one blog post, but then decided it would be easier for everyone if I just did one at a time.  (I don't know if you would agree with that, but my logic is sometimes a little off-kilter, so it makes sense to me.)  And because I like pictures so much, I am going to try to find a picture from my childhood that is relevant to the thing I'm talking about.  But it's more likely that I won't find one, so the post will be without a picture.  (I will try drawing pictures for the post if I can't find a photo, but if you don't see one, it means I gave up and scribbled all over my attempted drawing....so in other words, I can't promise anything.)

As a kid I never wanted to be up after my parents went to sleep.* I only stayed up reading in bed if my parents were still up.  My light was never the only one on.  Their bedroom is just across the hall from mine, and so I always kept my door open just enough so that I could check to see if their light was still on.  If I found that it wasn't, I shut my book and turned off my light not a second later.
I'm still unsure as to why I did that.  Was it a fear thing, perhaps?  I really have no clue.
*This does not apply to sleepovers.  If I spent the night at a friend's, I did not call my parents every 2 minutes to make sure they were still up.

No comments: