Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Frisbeeeeee!

I joined my school's Ultimate Frisbee team this year.  It's such a fun sport and if you haven't played it, you're missing out.  If you haven't even heard of it........then this world should be ashamed of itself for not making Ultimate Frisbee known to every single human being.  Well, okay, I admit...it's not that popular of a sport.  There are over 100,000 people who play it in over 50 countries around the world, yet it still doesn't get around to everyone.

Anyway, enough with statistics.  If you haven't heard of it, it's a no contact sport that is kind of a mix between football, soccer, and every other game you can think of, and it's played with a Frisbee.  I hope you figured that last one out on your own.  It's quite a fast-paced sort of game, intense, and ridiculously fun to play.  Also, another cool thing about it, is that all the teams must be spirited and encouraging to the other teams.  At the end of the season (which is Spring), a spirit award goes out to the team who was the most spirited and encouraging.  There's also the championship award too, obviously.

Anywhooooo, I'm getting a little off track.  What I'm trying to get at is that my team finally got our jerseys in the other day!  I have been waiting for these for three or four weeks now, and we finally got them.  We are called the Marooners.  We couldn't do Patriots (which is our school mascot) because we are technically not part of the school, sport-wise; we're a club sport.  I guess we chose Marooners because our school colors are maroon and silver, so we were still trying to stay connected with the school without using the word "Patriot".  This is what the front looks like:


Funny, because the size is a small, yet it still goes down past my rear end.  We have white ones too, because the two teams on the field play white vs. dark, and dark is whatever the other jersey is besides the white one.  If that made any sense.

This is the back of it.  My dad wanted me to have number 37 because it's apparently the first irregular prime.  He's a math geek.  But I didn't have any other number in mind, and that one sounded cool, so I went with it!


At the start of each point, the teams are on either side of the field at each end-zone.  The team who is pulling (throwing the disc to start the point) picks the people they are going to mark/guard on the other team.  There is the same amount of girls and guys on each team, so the girls don't have to guard guys.  But now that we have our jerseys, I'm pretty sure I look like a short person of the male gender, what with the pixie cut, big baggy shirt, and long baggy shorts.  I definitely got a lot of confused looks from the other teams, and at the start, there were a lot of guys running up to guard me, followed by double-takes.  So that's the only not-so-great thing about my new jersey: looking feminine is not my strong point when I'm wearing it.  Buuuuut.....it's so worth it for the looks I get! 

I'm sorry for such a wordy post.  That took way more explaining than I had anticipated.  And it wasn't very humorous either.  And only two pictures!!  I should be ashamed of myself.  But next time I blog about Ultimate Frisbee, I will try to include pictures from our games, because my dad brings the camera to them.

Have a marvelous day, my friends!

No comments: